Special Event - Y6 Visit St Mary's Convent

16 November 2007

As part of their sacramental preparation, Year 6 visited St Mary's Convent.

St Mary's is a Pugin Building, opened in 1841 a few months after St Chad's Cathedral.


The Prayer Garden is a beautiful haven of peace.
 
In the Chapel we were shown a Book of Profession.

This recorded the names of those who chose to become a Sister of Mercy.
 
We had the opportunity to design our own names using the same style as the Book of Profession.

We lit a candle to remind us that Jesus is the light of the world.
 
During the afternoon we wrote a recipe and created our own Oil of Chrism. This oil is used at Confirmation. It is a sign of the gift of the Holy Spirit.
 

As we are preparing to be confirmed, we renewed our baptismal promises. In turn we each placed our names on the altar. Next, Ms Ryan poured water over our hands to cleanse us of our sins.