For Christians the most important group they belong to is the Church.
“Church” means more than a building and can be used to describe the family of God who have been baptised.
What do you know about Baptism?
Baptism is a special celebration called a sacrament. Through this celebration people are welcomed into God’s family the Church. Discuss and role-play the rite of Baptism of a child. Consider the following parts of the rite and the signs and symbols associated with it.
- The naming of the child: God calls us by name to belong to his family .
- The signing of the cross on the forehead: A sign of welcome into the family of God.
- Anointing with the oil of Baptism: God strengthening and protecting the child about to be baptised. - Baptismal promises made by parents and godparents: Importance of parents bringing up their child as part of God’s family and expressing what they believe in.
- Baptism in the name of the Trinity: We belong to God who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Anointing with the oil of Chrism: Now the person is baptised they share in God’s life and are part of God’s family.
- Clothing with white garment: A sign of belonging to God’s family and being a follower of Christ. - Receiving the baptismal candle: The light of Christ guides those who have been baptised.
Create a storyboard to sequence the different parts of the rite and explain the meaning of the symbols